Tuesday, July 30, 2002

It's kind of funny I posted that thing about Anna Kournikovia because I got at least three people logging onto this site today looking for naked pictures of the World's Most Famous Bad Tennis Player. On the one hand, it kind of sucks that half my traffic is people looking for pictures of Ms. Kournikovia au naturel, but if it weren't for them, I'd be getting almost no traffic.

Speaking of traffic, as you might have noticed, I can tell who clicks on and how many hits I get. From a little gadget called Sitemeter, I can see what the ISP is of the people who log on and I can also tell how they got to my site. Which is how I know about all the people looking for pictures of Anna's bazoomba's.

All of this is kind of cool.

Well, it was up until I was Google stalking someone the other night and suddenly got paranoid about it. Because maybe they can do what I can do.

I love Google stalking. It's such a fun thing to do when you're bored or intensely curious- just put in a name of someone you want to catch up on and see what you can find. That way you could find out all sorts of interesting things about people without them actually knowing you did it. So, I was Google stalking my White Whale (more about her later) and found myself on a Web site of one of her friends. Then I sat there and thought about it. What happens if they have Sitemeter and they can find out that I came to the site searching for this particular person? Yeah, they wouldn't know it was me, per se, but they'd be able to see that instead of coming to their site by say, looking for naked pictures of Anna Kournikovia, I got there by doing a search on this person's name. And I don't know about them, but I'd be kind of freaked out if I found out that somebody came to my site by searching for me (which due to a stupid mistake on my part, can happen). If I go to Sitemeter and see that they put my name in and found me that way, it would kill me. Besides feeling kind of paranoid, I'd be wondering who the hell was searching for me. Was it a possible employer? Someone from my past? Someone in my near future? The White Whale Google stalking me?

And now I'm thinking that I'm getting too paranoid to even Google stalk anyone. Damnit.

No comments: