Sunday, July 28, 2002

Once again I found myself at the video place, looking for movies to rent. Should I rent Oscar nominated movies like Ali Should I rent quirky art flicks like The Man Who Wasn't There?? How 'bout really good serious dramas like Lantana or really good foreign flick like that Bollywood epic about cricket that I really did want to see when it was out?

Nope, of course not. I rented How High
Yes, I rented this as opposed to Gossford Park. What can I say?

Not half bad either, or at least mildly amusing at bits. I was, however, hampered in my enjoyment of it in that I was not, in fact, high while watching it. Don't think it would have helped much, though.

Still, it's good to now that in these crazy times, with the Far Right ascendant, and an Attorney General who drapes a cloth over the bare breasts of a statute,
and a bill in the Sentate that would crack down on Rave promoters because some people think raves promote drug use (CAN SOMEBODY SAVE THE CHILDREN?), and when the FBI won't let someone work for them just because they took a few measly pipe hits three years ago, that someone is still making movies in which the basic jist is that smoking dope is cool.

God bless the U.S.A.

And you know, if we stopped making those movies, the terrorists will have won (okay, maybe not Osama Bin Laden, as much as John Ashcroft, but still).

No comments: