Thursday, July 11, 2002

Man, living in SF turns you into a huge weather wuss. Three straight days in the 90's and I was going all Wicked Witch of the West. This is kind of twisted, but as I'm looking out my window and seeing a big, huge wall of fog come rumbling down Twin Peaks, I couldn't help but smile

Anyways, here we go Temp Job: Day 2 (and no, this isn't gonna be a daily thing).

After all that stuff I said yesterday about being kind of dicky and anti-social, it happened. One of the most dreaded days a Temp has to face- the Office Birthday Cake Party.

Here's the thing about temping. Yeah, you're in an office with other people, sometimes even nice people, but you're not really part of the office. You're a Temp. Basically some person whose being paid chump change to do remedial work that nobody else who works there would want to do. Plus, you're never really there for that long so it's not really worth that much to be social. When you Temp, you kind of have the attitude that people in the Army have, don't get close to anyone cause you'll never when they might go kaboom.

This makes me not the most shiny, happy social worker. My Temping style falls along the "get in, get out, nobody gets hurt" lines. I like to go in, quickly get my coffee, then hook up to my CD Walkman and type away. No muss, no fuss, no messy small-talk. When it comes down to it, as nice as some of the people there are (and they are really nice) and as tight a shirt as some of them wear, I really don't care if I get to know them. Yeah, I'm a crank, what can I say?

Which brings us to today. It was someone's birthday today, someone who wasn't there the last time I worked there, and everyone was being gathered for some Happy Birthday Singing. Even us temps. Ugh.

Now, believe it or not, I am not an Office Birthday Cake Party Person (unless, of course, it's really yummy birthday cake, like ice cream cake from Ben & Jerry's). I am Elaine on Seinfeld. This is even true for place's where I'm not a Temp. But today, I am a Temp and I'm being told to stop what I'm doing and get ready for a big Birthday/Cake/singing thing.

Since the office is kind of small-ish and my computer is in the center of it, everyone can kind of see what I'm doing. I have a choice to make. I could either do what I'd prefer to do and ignore the whole thing and look like an anti-social jerk, or I could go join everyone else and pretend that I care that it's somebody I've never even walked past in the hallway's birthday.


And people think Temping's easy…..

No comments: