Sunday, May 25, 2003

And yeah, I haven't posted in awhile- damn two-day hangovers.

I broke my work virginity and went out drinking with coworkers on Thursday. One of the benefits of working downtown again is that I can go out for drinks after work again, something I actually missed at my last job as it's one of my favorite things about working in an office. Another benefit of working with a lot of people who are in their mid-20's is that there's lots of opportunities to go out for drinks after work. Of course, one of the problems with working with people in their mid-20's is that they like to go for drinks and like to do it hard. Let's just say Goldschlager, Saki, and kamikaze's do not make for a good next day.

The way I see it, though, is that I had to do what I did. It wasn't because I like to drink or have no will-power when it comes to drinking, it was kind of a strategic, office-politics thing. The group of people I was drinking with included the woman who is training me and I have to butter her up since she's not only the one who reports to my bosses about how I'm doing, she'll be the one everyone will bitch too when she starts her new job and there'll be a month or two of awkward transition from her style to mine. Then there's the guy I'll sort of be managing- have to be on a good relationship with him. Then there's the two Office Manager's who were out that night- have to bond with them; office manager's are always people you should have on your good side. And since the company is mainly France-based and one of the people out that night was French, I had to bond with him too. And I'm not even getting into the funny-you don't look Jewish girl who spent all night in tears complaining about her being shunned in Jewish school and looked to me to help her understand why.

As far as not doing a bunch of shots I shouldn't have done (Goldschlager, for instance, was sworn off years ago after causing a really bad day), it was my first night out with coworkers. I had to step up. I have to make sure they knew I could deal, mainly so I can go out some more and do some more bonding with important people who I'll need to work my way through the company.

See, I had to do what I did.

No comments: