Friday, October 24, 2003

After some prodding and despite all my fears, I finally gave it up to Friendster. Now how the hell am I supposed to look for work?

This thing is totally addicting. You just go from list to list to list, stumbling upon people you know or think you know or want to know and then go to from their list to another list to another list. It's one of those things that you start checking out and then four hours later start to think it's about time you have some lunch and maybe take a shower.

Not that I want to get too into it, or even put up a profile or do anything whacky like that despite it's nickname as "Fuckster", I mainly one want to do it because it's like Google Stalking, except better. Punch in a name et viola-there they are (maybe) in all of their profile glory. Find out if they're single. Find out where they live. Find out who they know who you know or what they're up to. The only problem is that the people who created Friendster made it impossible for you to click on their profile once you find them. So say if you finally find someone you've been Google Stalking for years or someone who you got mildly shafted by and still hold a candle for, you can't find out what's up with them unless you ask them to be your "Friendster Friend." Now, if you want to Google Stalk them (Friendster Stalk?), how are you supposed to go and do that without letting them know you're stalking them?

All of which means I now have to spend hours upon hours trying to track these people. I've already stumbled onto the fact an ex-coworker/boss is broken up with her longtime boyfriend, another ex-coworker is married, and that this city is once again way too small for my own good.

All of which proves what I already knew before- I really need to get out of my apartment more.

No comments: