Thursday, October 23, 2003

Man, it's been the Murderer's Row of Beverly Hills 90210 reruns this week. We started off with the infamous Halloween episode and Kelly's almost date-rape, followed by the David Silver's friend shooting himself episode, the Emily Valentine spiking Brandon's drink with Euphoria (love high Brandon), and then the super-amazing Emily goes "Fatal Attraction" on Brandon and almost burns down the West Beverly High Homecoming Float (!) episode. The climatic moment of that episode was a brilliantly done scene showing Emily trashing the float and throwing gas all over it while intercutting it a Paginini concerto solo that Brenda and Dylan were attending. It's was just so BH 9'er- over-the-top soap opera with just enough earnest and occasional arty pretensions to take it to a whole new level, failing miserably the whole time.

I can watch all these Beverly Hills repeats, of course, because despite what those pencil pushers at all those Think Tanks and Government Agencies say, things on the job-market suck. They might even suck more than last year, when even the pencil-pushing employed geeks said that things suck. Note to all you economists out there- just because a bunch of rich white millionaires are making 2 million dollars more than they did last year doesn't mean jack for the rest of us who aren't rich white millionaires.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll never work again. I haven't gotten a call over my resume postings in several weeks, haven't gotten a call-back from a resume sent in over two months, and my recruiters keep on telling me that "we're working on something right now" while never calling me about anything and spending most of the time on the phone trying to remember who I am. I talked to one yesterday and found out that they got into snag in that they tried to get me in for an interview while another one of my recruiters was doing the exact same thing, all this for a job posting that I had also sent my resume in for. So that's three people sending in my resume and nothing- nada. Even worse, it only confirmed what I thought- that recruiter's are basically fighting over table scraps too.

Of course, I might have actually have heard something if MSN wasn't fucking around with Hotmail and causing just enough havoc that I'm getting e-mails that people sent to me on Monday today. If all this working on Hotmail is just another excuse to bombard us with more stories about whether Mariah Carey carries all of her money around in a purse or that Clay what's-his-fuck from "American Idol" has a #1 album (thus confirming, of course, that our country is fucked in more ways than can be measured right now), I'm going to be really pissed.

Not that I'm already there.

No comments: