Monday, December 08, 2003

About today's job interview….

I love it when both the job description that's posted and the description detailed to you by the HR person turns out to be almost the complete opposite of what the job actually is. Something that I don't discover until my 2nd hour into the interview when after rockin' the HR person's world, I meet the person who would be/could be my boss. All those computer programs I bragged about knowing? Don't need 'em. All those great examples I used to show my project management skills and abilities? Turns out there's no coordinating involved. In fact, the job is built so that you actually never leave the computer and don't talk to anyone. Oh yeah, that great ending speech about how you'd like to branch out and help the Manager grow the position and help the company expand? Nuh-uh, ain't happening. There'll be none of that happening in this job. It's just crunch code, crunch code, crunch code. Oh yeah, and by the way, the job isn't full-time, it's temp-to-perm.

Unfortunately, I'm already out way too far to turn around and start backtracking on what I said earlier. And besides, it's been a long interview, the caffeine is wearing off, and I really, really have to pee. Oh, and what initially sounded like a great job, a job so great that when presented the possibility of two openings with the company you hop on that position, turns into something my frazzled little brain is telling me sounds God-awful. In other words, it's it's too late baby, now, it's too late.

But man, oh man, I was good. I was on fire.

Too bad it was for the wrong frickin' job.

No comments: