Wednesday, December 17, 2003

It being Christmastime, companies such as my old company are busy ho-ho-ho'ing it up and advertising their wares all over the place. I don't know whether it's because they just got a sudden infusion of cash or whether they're just turning up the volume, but in the past several weeks, I've seen ads for my old companies products everywhere. Everything from MTV to "South Park" to NFL Games to even my beloved "Buffy" reruns. I've even seen ads for my old company's products online, on places like Salon and Rottentomatoes.com. Hell, one of my company's products sponsored the showing of the "South Park" movie uncut on Comedy Central. And not just my companies' products, but things I was working on. Things I was helping put together before I was unceremoniously given the heave-ho. In fact, as one of the guys helping out with the video department, most of those commercials would have at some point gone through me.

Ironically, one of the reasons why I was so excited to work there was because I was working for a company that advertises things. That gets deals with Peter Gabriel and sponsors uncut versions of "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" and has meetings in which they decide "Buffy" fans would make a perfect target audience. Now everytime I see one of those commercials I get a sick feeling in my stomach, that kind of sick feeling you can only get when your supposed dream jobs turns out to be your nightmare.

Luv ya Jenna.

Only Six hours, thirty-two minutes and twelve seconds til I see "…the greatest long-form work in the history of mainstream cinema."

I'm so excited I'm already suffering from "what the hell am I going to do with my life now?" pangs and I haven't even seen the movie yet.

No comments: