Monday, August 23, 2004

The first day of work today was no big. I'm actually getting pretty good at them, what with this being like the fourth new job I've started since I've been writing this here bloggie. The thing that was tripping me out about today is how weird everything is on the first couple of days and how normal that weirdness will become. Most of my jobs have been in the city and with small to medium sized companies. This job is my first one in the Silicon Valley (the S.V.?), the first one with a long commute, and with a company that I heard today had around 25,000 people working there. The place is so huge it's not even like a campus, it's like a small city. Everything's so completely different from what I'm used to but in another couple of months or so, it'll all be totally, completely normal.

And another thing about today….

It's the first day, right? So I gotta dress to impress. Today I wore my black dress pants, black shoes, and a really nice button down shirt. The thing is, though, that I'm working for a company in California, one that's involved in software. Not only that, most of the people who I work with are artists and artist types. In other words, is dressing up nicely really correct way to dress to impress? If I really wanted to impress, shouldn't I have wore jeans, Skeechers sneakers, a Polyphonic Spree t-shirt or some other totally hip band, and maybe, like, a trucker hat? Here I am all dolled up and pretty much the entire office was in jeans and t-shirts. I might have looked smart and professional, but I was looking pretty square, man.

No comments: