Wednesday, August 18, 2004

More on the les job du temp…..

As I mentioned before, I mainly work with one other temp, one who started the same day I did. She's in her late 40's and as I also mentioned, a Temp of Color. Now, she's a nice enough lady and well-meaning, but she's also a little too eager, a little too happy to be there, and a little too sociable. As you can pretty well imagine, I am none of those things.

As soon as I get in and get my coffee, I put on my headphones. This is so I don't go crazy with boredom. It is also because putting on headphones is usually a universal signifier meaning "don't want to be bothered." The other Temp is often pretty good in respecting my desire to be left alone, but out of boredom or sheer eagerness, tries to tell me something, even though I have my headphones on. I don't like this. I just don't care- not a whit, not a hoot, not a shit.

Sometimes, if there's really nothing on, I don't mind. Sometimes, though, it kind of bugs. Especially when there's something on I want to listen to. It's one of those situations where I try really, really hard not to look perturbed when she starts talking to me but probably give a glimmer of annoyance when she starts up. I'll be listening to Howard Stern and all of a sudden she'd want to talk about some job she had years ago or her homework for some classes she's taking. Now what do you think I'd rather listen to- Howard Stern busting on the Miss. Teen USA competition or her prattle on?

No comments: