Monday, August 09, 2004

Here's another good thing that Google stalking can accomplish- on those wistful, melancholy evenings, when you're haunted by all the could have been's and should have been's, you can Google stalk all those who are haunting you to make you feel better knowing that it just wasn't meant to be.

Like there's one person who I've Google stalked and I keep on seeing her name mentioned in conjunction with Jewish feminism & spirituality retreats. You know what you get when you combine feminism, spirituality & Judaism? Bad folk music.

That wasn't meant to be.

Then there's another who I looked up over the weekend. She joined the Peace Corps and is running some sort of program where she and her compatriots climb mountains to "bring awareness to women's issues." Now right there there's two things that I really love- climbing things and things that are done to "raise awareness" of a certain thing that has absolutely nothing in common with the thing they're doing to raise awareness of it. Like do they really think there's gonna be some guy out there thinking "well, I used to beat my wife but stopped when I heard these eight girls who climbed Mt. Hood say it was bad." Come to think of it, I farted today at the temp job and while some might say it was because I've had way too much Mexican food lately, I really did it to raise awareness of working conditions in third world countries.

But I digress.

In her spare time, the woman runs several mentoring programs for at-risk children in Marin (you know, for all those kids whose parents couldn't afford an Explorer and had to be the BMW SUV instead). In my spare time, I drink too much, play kickball, and post dumb-ass comments onto a blog page nobody reads.

That wasn't meant to be.

Then there's another one who I found out became a lesbian.

That wasn't meant to be either.

And just like that, I'm cheereped. Of course, I could think that if I had only had the balls to do something way back when I could have saved them from a life of crocheted yarmulkes, dreary earnestness, and and the Indigo Girls but were not going to go there.

No comments: