Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The new job doesn't start til mid-August which is actually kind of perfect because it gives me some time to do nothing but not worry about anything. Among other things, I don't have to worry about going straight from no-job stress to new job stress. Things kind of worked out perfectly too because I have a temp job until pretty much the new job starts. Even though I need the money and it gives me something to do, I can't really say that I'm that excited about temping. It's nothing but the bad residue of a really bad dream.

Still, I was okay with this temp assignment. As I said, it's money and I was told that it's data entry. That's fine by me. Go in, type away, listen to tunes, and then leave. One of the things I like about data entry jobs too is that they're very rarely supervised so it's easy to take long lunches and copius breaks. If I had to choose what sort of temp assignnment I could do for the last three weeks, it would be data entry.

Stupd temp agency lied to me, something that I've noticed that this particular Temp Agency has been doing a lot of lately. No data entry at all. In fact, it's the bane of every office temp everywhere- clerical work.

The job is with the place that goes through all of the Bar Exams Satan's Minions take to become lawyers. The job is to first file them, then go through every file to make sure everything is in it's right place, recode them, file them again by their new coding number, and then triple check to make sure everything is still in it's right place. Yesterday and part of today was all filing and the rest of the day was checking. It's looking like I'm checking file for the rest of the week in fact. I am overjoyed. Worst part of the job? Instead of working alone, I'm part of a team, one that has shifts. Since somebody is waiting for me to get back from lunch so she can take lunch, I actually have to take thirty minute lunches. And there's no internet access anywhere.

How boring is it? Think of the most boring job you've ever had, then multiply it by about a hundred times. It's that boring. I went through about several hundred files today and only found one that was in anyways messed up. I should probably say that there are probaly many others that I missed due to not giving a shit, but oh well. I know, I know, I should give it my all, but Jigga please.

Over the past several months, I actually was pretty able to grin and bear most of my temp assignments. Well except for maybe the Nordstrom's one. And the filing job where I had to wear that stupid t-shirt (believe it or not, despite what people have been thinking, I really didn't mind the Towel Picker Upper job. I was always moving so it was excercise, the spa was on Nob Hill so I had a great view of the city, everyone was pretty nice, and I got to stare at women in bikini's all day. Of course, I also had to pick up their towels and occasionally take their order but I've convienantly blocked any sort of memory of that happening). Probably because I had no other choice, but also because in a way it was able to, as a friend would say, "feed my monkey." My stupid-ass temp jobs were able to let me put the woe in "woe is me." Now that there's no need for woe, I have no ability to grin and bear anything. On my first day there, when I realized what I the job was, I wanted to basically say something along the lines of "umm, I have a job. I'm not desperate anymore, so if you want me, I'll be in that corner over there, reading the paper." When I didn't have a job, nothing was really beneath me. Now that I have one, a lot is beneath me.

These next three weeks are gonna kill me.

No comments: