Wednesday, October 27, 2004

And the Sox won the Series.

Let's say that again- the Sox won the Series.

Now, how about that?

You know what this means? Things like Bucky "Bleepin'" Dent and Bill Buckner don't mean anything anymore. A huge part of the mythology of a much mythologized sport is now meaningless. And not that I'm a big Sox fan- in fact, at one point this year I was going to go on about how sick I was becoming of Sox fans- but I am a baseball fan and if you're a baseball fan this is a huge friggin' deal.

But you know what I'm thinking? You know who I feel sorry for now? Well, besides Nomar. Cubs fans. Why? Because the Cubs and the Sox fans were two peas in a pod, the Crosby and Hope of loserdom. Now that the Sox have won, the Cubs are now the biggest loser in that they're now the only loser. It's kind of like if you're single for a long time and had another really good friend who was single and for long periods of time, you could always cheer yourself up by saying "well, at least Joe Bob is a big of a loser as I am." Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, Joe Bob gets a girlfriend and settles down. Now, you can't say that anymore. That's the Cubs.

No comments: