Sunday, October 10, 2004

There's this guy who sells his own comic books who always hangs out at the corner of 16th & Valencia. This evening, as I passed him, he started yelling at me "that's it, that's it…keep on looking down…just ignore me, that's it….."

Is it me, or is this not the best way to drum up business? Especially when you're selling comic books, not exactly something most people find that necessary for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And we're not even talking like Spiderman Edition 6 (or whatever it is- I am not a comic book geek so I have no idea what it all means). We're talking stuff he made and photocopied at Kinko's to sell on the street. I mean, if I wanted to get harassed by somebody for not giving them money, the twenty or thirty homeless people I see between 16th street and my apartment could harass me. Hell, my homeless neighbor is back and napping all afternoon.

He's been out there for months trying to sell his wares and I guess it's not going very well. First he was charging a dollar, then he was charging whatever anybody wanted to pay him, and now he's basically yelling at people to buy his stuff. The thing is that when he first started doing it, I thought it was pretty impressive. There he was, a wanna be comic book artist trying to sell his stuff, being pro-active about it. Sometimes I even thought about buying his stuff just because I admired the guys guts. Now, don't think it's happening.

No comments: