Monday, October 11, 2004

I went to Yoga class at that place around the corner from me last night and only one other person showed up. And Thank God too. I got there somewhat early and it was only the teacher and I (who was busy stretching his feet behind his head and complaining how tight he was) and I kept on thinking to myself "please, let somebody else come, please…."

And speaking of yoga class….

When people do show up, I've noticed that the regulars really know each other. So much so that everyone hugs. Everyone. Guys hug women, women hug women, and men hug men. And not just "hi" hugs, but full-on, deep and meaningful stare into the eyes kind of hugs. A class last week actually started late because they had trouble getting an earlier class to disperse. Throw in how everyone has that kind of blissed out, happy look and I'm beginning to think that maybe the place is kind of a cult. Like if I ever go to one of those yoga retreats (and that would never happen because more than a couple of hours with yoga-heads doing "mindful" stuff would have me doing Jager shots and cranking AC/DC like nobody's business) I'd find myself starting to donate all my money to the "co-op" board that runs the place and moving to some place in Oregon. But if it isn't a cult, does that mean that if I keep on going, I'm going to have to start hugging people? Will I ruin everyone's flow by not hugging? Will it be sending out negative vibes?

Anyways, the class goes on and once again I find myself having to partner up with someone. Luckily, this time it's fairly easy as the way the mats are situated, it's fairly obvious I'll be partnering up with the woman to my right. She's a bit younger, slightly on the hot side and much, much, more flexible than me. We first have to partner up to do some stretch where she lies on her back and I have to pull her arms up so she can get some lift- no big deal. But then there's the other stretch.

In this one, she has to sit on her knees while I stand right in front of her. Then, I have to grab hold of her sides and once I have her, she has to arch her back and stretch backwards so that the only thing pretty much in my view is her, umm, chest. Now the thing is that in order to help her pose and to help my pose (holding her like that isn't the easiest thing to do you know), as well as my breathing, I have to stare straight ahead. This despite the fact that if I were to stare at what I was forced to stare at under other circumstances, I would pretty much get thrown out of class.

Stretch over, I'm feeling pretty awkward. I mean, I've had dates (lots of dates) that weren't as exciting. I felt like I should have at least gotten her name or bought her a drink. So I'm kind of wondering, is it bad yoga karma to partner and run?

No comments: