Sunday, October 17, 2004

I've had a lot of people asking me lately how work is- a natural question if ever there was, and the truth is I don't really want to talk about it. In actuality, it's going fairly well, even with the news that my boss quit to take another job (never underestimate the importance of a non-crazy boss). In fact, in some ways, everything's going swimmingly. Which is why I don't like to talk about it- I am totally afraid that I'm somehow going to jinx it.

The evil eye does hear all.

It doesn't help too that at pretty much the same point at my last job, two months in, I also had that feeling of well-being and confidence. I even left on my three-day trip, the one that doomed me for eternity, thinking that I finally felt like I got a handle on everything and was ready to go kick some butt as soon as I got back. Which, of course, is the exact point where everything went to hell. Of course, the difference between then and now is, well, see above note about the joys of having a non-crazy boss. I also feel much more comfortable and at ease at this job than I ever did at the last job, probably because I don't have to worry about my boss eavesdropping on conversations from around the corner.

So if somebody asks me how work is going and I say "fine" please don't take it as me not wanting to talk about it out of rudeness. Just see it as me not me not wanting to talk about it for fear that the moment that I tell somebody it's going great, it'll all start falling apart.

No comments: