Monday, October 04, 2004

My job is so good in those all-important intangible ways that I'm totally and thoroughly convinced that the job can't last. I mean, I'm getting paid way more money than I ever have (and paid weekly), work between 35-40 hours a week, have a non-crazy boss, and in a place with a gym, free juice in the kitchen area and employee discounts on things like cell phones and Ipods. There's no way in hell this can last- it's way too good. Throw in a huge reorg and all sorts of political doings involving the higher ups and I'm even that much more convinced of the fact I got 'til maybe the end of the year before it all comes crashing down.

All things considering, the smart thing to do would be to lay low, not spend any money, and save. Then save some more. So far I'm not doing very well. I know I should save and I know (trust me) how important it is not spend all my money now, but I'm not thinking that way.

There was an episode of "Taxi" that for some reason always stuck in my head. It's one where the Reverand Jim (I think it was him) found out that he inherited a lot of money from his dad. He decides to celebrate by getting himself a fancy apartment in Manhattan, which he does, but screws up while renting it. See, the monthly rent was so high that he thought it was for the entire year and signed away only to discover that he was wrong that he was about to blow most of his money on only one month of rent. Instead of bailing on the apartment and saving the money, he just decides to go for it. Every night he and the gang throw parties at the apartment and live it up, thinking if you're gonna wind up losing it all, you might as well go down in style.

Which is kind of what I'm thinking right now. If I'm gonna go down on this job, I'm gonna go down in style. I'll probably never be making this kind of money again so I'm thinking I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: