Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Between the remnants of this bug, the heat, and a scorching case of insomnia, last night's sleep just might have been Worst. Sleep. Ever. One of those 2:30 in the morning and reading a book in hopes that it'll put you to sleep type jobbers.

The result of which is that I blew off my 6:30 alarm and got up to the 7:30 alarm. I hopped on the BART that would get me to the 9 AM shuttle in plenty of time, but it got held up in Colma and pulled into the BART station ten minutes late. Missed the shuttle. So I talked the only other co-worker who was also stranded with me into sharing a cab. There was no cab there so we called. At 9:30, one showed up and took us to work, a drive of five to ten miles on the 101. Got stuck in traffic. Pull into the office a little after ten, about forty minutes after we got into the cab and almost two hours after I had originally planned to get into work.

As I got into the office, I noticed that everyone in my department wasn't there. R'uh oh. I quickly check my e-mail and see that a quicky departmental meeting was called for 10. Fifteen minutes late for the meeting, I run in there just to catch the tail end of my boss telling everyone that she has just gotten a new job and handed in her two week notice.

How was your morning?

PS- While not thrilled that my boss is leaving- besides hiring me she wasn't, and this is key, crazy- I did get a measure of satisfaction in knowing that I managed to once again pull together a string of mysterious "days off" and figure out that what happened was going to happen. I'm good. I'm so good, in fact, that I should hire myself out to companies to help figure out whether something's happening with their employees. Or, employees could hire me to figure out if they're about to be outsourced. Then again, considering my employment luck, I'd pretty much make sure everyone would be outsourced.

No comments: