Thursday, February 27, 2003

We here at Hooray For Anything are in mourning tonight- Smidge is leaving the building. My beloved Buffy will be no more come the end of May. Even worse, after rumors of a possible Faith spin-off buzzed through the internet, something so natural and perfect that it's like David Lee Roth rejoining Van Halen, the actress pullled the worst career decision since David Caruso left NYPD Blue and bailed on the show for some lame-ass WB show. Tonight, there's no joy in Buffyville.

Okay, I know, the show isn't nearly what it used to be. It's definitely in it's late-70's Stones phase, when each album would contain a few great songs but mainly filler. And while the show hasn't achieved X-Files like end-of-run atrociousness, it's still not nearly what it used to be. At it's best, Buffy was the perfect show- TV as both art and pop-culture. It was edgy, scary, poignant, heartbreaking, and hilarious, often within minutes of each other. And now, it's no more.

And yeah, I'm firmly aware that it's a TV show. But now what the hell am I gonna do on Tuesday nights? I've watched the show since the first season (I, Robot in case anyone cares) and was quickly hooked. Somewhere around the time Angelus murdered Jenny Calendar and then left her in Giles' bed for him to discover upon his return, I realized I was madly and passionately addicted. I have gone on Buffy message boards, I have bought magazines about the show, I had a shrine on my apartment fridge, I partied with my roomates in it's honor, and…well…I won't go into the depths of my Buffy addiction because it's even more embarassing than what I've let on. Hell, I even have the CD of the musical (merely the greatest thing ever put on TV. Ever).

And with this being the final season of the Sopranos too, I'm left to wonder this…. Now what the hell am I gonna do with my life?

Damnit, I need a new TV show. Stat.

PS- the Donnas rock.

No comments: