Saturday, February 01, 2003

I'm there at the BART, latish Friday night, on my way to a Club to hang out with some friends. Notice a kind of cute woman walking my way and think nothing of it, other than the usual thought that hey, she's kind of cute and why can't I meet women like that?

Then she sits down at one of the benches and pulls out a Buffy book. Not a magazine with Sarah Michelle Gellar on the cover, not a Buffy comic, not even The Watcher's Guide, but an actual Buffy book. Which is a level of fan-dom way beyond normal levels of fan-dom. We're talking serious geek-dom here. We're talking buying a book based on a TV show because you can't get enough of the TV show and want more. We're talking reading a book based on a TV show instead of, say, reading War and Peace. And all of this is way, way, beyond my level of fan-dom (and that's saying a lot). I think the only level of geek-dom beyond that are all the people who write fan-fic and post it online (the guy whose writing the blog page of the First Evil, however, doesn't count because it's really frickin' funny). In other words, a girl right after my own heart.

BART comes. Looks like it's not her ride as she doesn't make a move to get in. I hop on.

Chicken out again.

No comments: