Monday, June 02, 2003

I do not like it when people follow me around observing how I work. I do not like it at all, Sam I Am. I do not like it when they constantly ask me what I'm doing and then ask me why I'm doing this instead of that. I do not like it when they tell me how to organize my desk or when to put things in folders or why should I even have folders. I do not like it Sam I am.

I do not like back-seat driving bosses at work. I don't deal with it well. I may do things in a straight and narrow way, but it works for me. And what works for me doesn't necessarily mean it works for everyone else, but what other people do doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for me.

Plus, because I'm new, I got taken off all the cool games and got stuck with the small games. Years and years worth of experience I guess don't mean a thing.

And not only that, I got taken off all the cool, big games we make.

When I took my job I knew a few things- that it was less stressful than my other job. That it was for more money in a better location and for a way more cooler product. But I also knew I was stepping into something where they had pretty strict processes and procedures, a set way of doing things, and a bit of a busy-body boss. My last job may have been stressful, may have been for less money, in a crappy location, made crappy products, and was run by a complete crazy loon, but at least I was pretty much left alone to do my job. Nobody bothered me, nobody asked me what I was doing, nobody checked in me with every half an hour, nobody told me how to organize things, and nobody noticed if I did things a certain way.

In a way, in leaving my job, I had the great Miltonian question- whether it's better to be free in hell or a servant in heaven? Satan, of course, chose to be free in hell. I chose to be a servant in heaven. To each his own, I guess. But even Satan probably would have been a servant in hell for more money and to be surrounded by video games.

No comments: