Thursday, June 05, 2003

I was at a bar all night and as much as I tried not to, caught a bit of the Giants game out of the corner of my eye. Naturally they lost.

In last night's writing class one of the men in the class wrote an essay about circumsion, to wit whether to snip or not to snip. The story was interesting in and of itself because it was about a lesbian couple trying to decide what to do with their son. The whole essay was not just about the ethical and sociological dilemna facing the couple, but the turmoil felt by the guy as he contemplated his own snipped dick.

As the story began, I tensed up. This whole issue makes me uncomfortable, and not because of the whole cutting of the penis thing. It's because I know that in some circles, it is a big issue. It's a protesting issue. It's a letter-to-the-editor, the norms of society is wrong, fight the power type issue. I've read the heart-felt letters as people who have been circumcized recoiled in horror as they showered with a bunch of guys who hadn't been circumsized. I've read the medical debates and the political debates. And I've read the people who treat it as one and the same as female genital mutilation, as if it's unfair that men can't have genital mutililation for their very own (please forgive the lack of spelling and grammar in this entry, by the way, as I've been drinking all night- again). And I hate this issue.

Why I hate this issue is very easy to describe- there's like five billion things wrong with this planet- our government made up a phony excuse to go to war, AIDS is ravaging the Third World, Sammy Sosa got caught with a corked bat- and some people are worried about circumcision. Just fucking cut the fucker, don't fucking make a big deal out of it, and if you feel all fucking huffy about it, use that energy that get huffy about something that really matters.

Say goodnight Gracie.

No comments: