Monday, June 16, 2003

So I got a friend's husband a job. Yay me?

Usually, I don't like doing things like this. It complicates things if something goes wrong. Or right. Also, I don't like doing things like this because I've rarely had a job where I could do something like this, but that's another story.

Friend's husband comes into work today, everyone's happy, it's all good, I'm proud of myself, get a free offer for dinner- and naturally, things go wrong.

We kind of hired him half-assed, or at least without really thinking it through. We didn't have a plan, didn't have a game-plan, didn't really know what we were going to do. We just hired him. And now we just hired someone else too.

Before we hired my friend's husband, we agreed to interview someone else. Things weren't definite yet with my friend's husband, so we thought what the hell, let's cover all of our bases. He came in today, conveniently timed at the same time as right before my friend's husband came in (that, of course, was my doing) and we liked him too. Or, more like the guy who interviewed him because it'll be his assistant. So now, instead of making one decision or another, we're going to play them off each other. Have each of them work when the other isn't there and then make a decision in a couple of weeks as to which one to keep (that is if they're able to make a decision). I am not sure we're even going to tell one about the other, we're just going to coordinate one's schedule so that they won't be there when the other one is. And I've seen enough bad sitcoms to know that this never works out well.

So tomorrow I gotta go in and try to convince the Department Head to make some kind of call, mainly tell both of them what's going on. Otherwise a bad situation is going to be made a lot worse. I know because I've been in these situations, I've been the one screwed over and I don't want any part in the screwing.

Out, out damn spot.

No comments: