Thursday, June 19, 2003

I'm back in the saddle again
I'm back!
I'm back in the saddle again
I'm ridin', I'm loadin' up my pistol
I'm ridin', I really got a fistful
I'm ridin', I'm shinin' up my saddle
I'm ridin', this snake is gonna rattle

Yep, I'm now officially 35, or so it says on my driver's license. I can't say I'm happy about it, but what are you gonna do about it? 35 is kind of a scary number, about as mid 30's as it gets, closer to middle-age than youth. It's also kind of a joke. I'm SO not 35. I don't feel 35. I don't even know what it's like to be 35. I sleep on a futon, work for a video game company, and Coldplay puts me to sleep. 35 my ass.

The only time I realize that I'm 35 and what it means is when I run into other people who are 35. Seeing them, I get kind of a mirror image of what I should be. I can see it in their receding hairline, the buddha belly, the two kids and golf habit. And I see it more in women. More and more I see someone who I find hot, but then realize there's a good chance they were in Elementary school when I was in High School. Or I'll see someone who I'll automatically think looks kind of cute for someone their age and then realize that they're actually still younger than me. Or, I'll look at someone and go, "man, they're getting kind of old looking" and realize that they were the same graduating class as me.

Which is why my resolution this year is to hang out with people much younger than me.

No comments: