Thursday, June 19, 2003

I know cell phones are handy, and I know that they're convenient, and I know how important they can be to make plans or, God forbid, if there's an emergency, but still….

Instead of calling while home, using a real telephone, most people now only call using the cell phone, in places far far away from home and in places that don't really lend itself to phone calls. Why call someone from the comfort of your own house when you can call someone while driving down the PA Turnpike at 85 MPH? As a result, half the phone calls you have with people these days sound like this

Mom: Hi….happy birthday!
Me: Thank you mom
Mom :Can you hear me? (said while screaming over the phone)
Me: Yes.
Mom: Can you hear me?
Me: Yes, mom, I can.
Mom: so what did you do for your birthday?
Me: I saw a play called "Wicked."
Mom: What? Thicket?
Me: No Wicked
Mom: Becket?
Me: No, Wi-cked
Mom: Bend it like Beckham?
Me: No…..W-I-C-K-E-D
Mom: Wicked? Never heard of it
Me: It's a play based on a book about the Wicked Witch of the West
Mom: Can you hear me?
Me: Yes mom.
Mom: It's a play about what?
Me: The Wicked Witch of the West, you know, from the Wizard of Oz.
Mom: The what?
Me: The Wizard of Oz
Mom: Can you hear me?
Me: Yes mom, I can hear you, can you hear me?
Mom: Yes, I can. So the play was based on what?
Me: The Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz….
Mom: Can you hear me?
Me: (hangs up)

No comments: