Sunday, February 17, 2002

Once upon a time, I wrote an essay about the dread every man has when they first sign up at a gym and have to face one of their biggest fears- the men's locker room. While it did start a debate in my writing group about it's political correctness, I think it was pretty dead on (warning- plug coming up- you can read it here. When I was at the Y today, I realized I had completely missed an obvious thing about the whole dealing with naked men thing.

As I turned the corner and saw a man bending over to gulp down some water from the water fountain, I suddenly remembered the whole thing in "Seinfeld" about good nudity and bad nudity. Seeing some guy bent over drinking from a water fountain is not good nudity.

Speaking of "Seinfeld," couple of funny "Seinfeld" related things in the paper today. This one cracks me up. In the Chron today, there was a fairly serious
article
about the whitewashing of homosexuality/bisexuality in movies, especially in film biographies (see "A Beautiful Mind"). Right in the middle of the essay was this quote:

"Must we wait for Nash to go on TV and do the Full Oprah before coming to some far from unreasonable conclusions: If you switch mathematics to literature and schizophrenia to garden variety neurosis, is his life not all that different from . . . John Cheever's? (As "Seinfeld" fans well remember, the late novelist's sexual peccadilloes became the focus of a legendary episode.)"

And in the New York Times today, the big Sunday Arts section had this essay entitled "Where Have You Gone, Jerry, When We Need You?

Basic jist of the column is how much the world needs Jerry to come back and make sense of post 9/11 America..

All I can say is amen. Watched the episode today where Kramer gets an intern, George gets kicked out of his office, and Elaine makes a bet with Jerry that she won't get back together with Puddy. It's still funny.

No comments: