Tuesday, February 19, 2002

Went to a Temp Agency today to sign up for more temp work. What can I say, I need the money. Kind of a weird thing about when I go to Temp Agencies. They're supposed to help me not only get temp work, but also maybe possibly full-time employment. So, we have an interview, I take a test, sign a bunch of forms and I start to realize something. I have about seven years worth of professional experience. I've coordinated the printing of two to three magazines at a time. I ran a small online store by myself. I have an English degree from a UC school (Go Gauchos!) and a Certificate in Desktop Publishing from an Arts school in SF. Yet, my biggest, and maybe only, marketable skill is that I'm one bad mother (shut your mouth) of a good typer. I got mad typical skills.

I can't believe that my mother telling me that I should take typing classes in High School might have been the smartest thing she's ever said.

I just realized today, after I blew away another Temp Person, or whatever they call the people you interview with at Temp Agencies, with my typing, that I might actually be too good at typing. I just kind of want a cushy office job. Answer the phones, do some filing, just hang out and cruise the Television Without Pity message boards all day, but that's not happening. They take one look at my typing skills and next thing I know, I'm off to some data entry sweat shop where I type a line here, a line there, for eight hours a day, all the while listening to Black Sabbath as loud as possible as a way to numb my mind. Maybe, next time I talk to a Temp Agency, I should fuck up my typing test. But then again, I might not actually get any work.

No comments: