Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Another thing I caught this morning was a bit of Dr. Phil. And no, I'm not into Oprah and don't plan on watching much of Dr. Phil, I was just lying in bed being lazy.

The particular topic of the day was body image, mainly that of a 17 year old who wants to go through all sorts of plastic surgery to improve herself. "I'm ugly and I have no boyfriend and my life sucks" the 17 year old said as she gave out a list of things she wanted work on- breast implants (duh), nose job, liposuction- you know, the usual. At one point, they showed a shot of her looking through Playboy as she tearfully said how her dream was to look like the girls in Playboy and maybe, hopefully, someday be a Centerfold.

Now while the girl wasn't h-o-t, she wasn't that bad- a bit of a two-face (looks good in one shot, looks bad in another) but probably more because of an unflattering haircut than anything else. She was also, definitely not overweight or fat in the slightest bit. In fact, as she was whining about her weight, the audience- made up of the usual dowdy over-weight middle-aged women who pray to all that is Oprah- laughed.

Her mother, who looked like a pretty sensible, intelligent and successful single mother (definitely not the trailer trash type usually seen on these shows) was, of course, upset and didn't know what to do. For all of her protestations to her daughter about how great she looked and blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, it went in one ear and out the other. So with nothing left to do, she turned to Dr. Phil.

I've heard a lot of stories like this (well, usually on TV or on Howard Stern), and as I listened to the poor 17 year old whine about how she'll never get a boyfriend because her nose is a bit too big and she's got a smidgen of cellulite on her butt and how the only that could save her was plastic surgery, I couldn't help think how glad I am that I don't have any kids.

No comments: