Wednesday, October 09, 2002

I'm watching all these rap videos this morning and I'm noticing that after all these years, it's still down for rappers to wear sports jersey's. Brings a warm feeling to my heart knowing that some things still remain the same.

Something that I don't get, though, is what's up with the jersey that they wear? I saw about two in a row this morning, and in each one, they had their whole crew with them and they were all wearing different jerseys (and they were only wearing jerseys, nobody was wearing like a polo shirt or even a Fubu shirt). In one video, the main singer and his crew were wearing different jerseys in almost every scene.

Now, some of the jersey's I can understand. Like the classic Chicago Bulls #23 jersey. Or one for the St. Louis Rams (Nelly's from there) or the Raiders or whatever local college/professional team the rapper is giving a shout-out too. But at one point in the video, the rapper was busting out an old skool Milwaukee Brewers shirt- powder blue polyester with mustard yellow trim. First of all, so not a good jersey and second of all, the Brewers? Who the fuck cares about the Brewers? Maybe he's from Milwaukee, but he was wearing about five other different jersey's, all from different areas, so that can't be it. He and one of his dawgs were even shown shimmying around in a Padres uniform circa 1984- white shirt with brown, yellow and orange trim. I don't even think Padres fans look too fondly on those jerseys. I think one of their players even referred to the uniform as making them look like a big taco. Hell, I even saw a Puffy video(he of the SeanJohn fashion label and polo matches in the Hamptons) and he busted out an Astros "Rainbow" shirt from the 70's- the really garish one with the orange and yellow strips and the big black star, a uniform usually known as one of the worst uniforms in the history of sports.

Is that the point, then, to try and find the ugliest, most obscure jerseys to wear? Can someone explain to me what it all means? Is it like the coolest thing in the world to wear the ugliest, oldest, most obscure jersey possible? I mean, I thought it was kind of cool to be sporting a Brewers shirt from the Harvey Wallbanger days, but I'm weird like that.

No comments: