Wednesday, October 02, 2002

This is based loosely on an e-mail sent to my father around the High Holy Days. It was something I wanted to post then, but chickened out because I was hedging my bets. Right now, I am not. The e-mail concerns the High Holy Days (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) and why I didn't want to celebrate the High Holy Days.

"I think, actually, in terms of Judaism, the Philosophical Construct of the phenomenon 'Shit Happens' is 'Shit happens and why does it always happen to us?' After all that's happened to me over the past couple of years, I would like to add to that this addendum- "shit happens and it's always happening to me."

In terms of my opinion regarding the Celebrating of the High Holy Days, I wonder whether in light of how the past year has progressed and all the shit that has happened, whether praising Him is actually just enabling him. Why should I praise him for all the crappiness of the past year? After all, I'd hate to think I was actually encouraging Him. I think, therefore, that an appropriate gesture might actually be me for to do nothing but stuff myself silly with pigs in a blanket and fried shrimp.

And as for my feelings about whether we should be going to Temple to thank Him, considering all that's happened over the year, I wonder if instead, we should all get together and ask Him to get his butt in gear and do something before we all blow ourselves up. Considering the year G-d's had, what with all the killing done in His name, the molesting of Children in His name, and all the financial failings done in Mammon's name, maybe we should be insisting that He come down and apologize. He's gotta lot of 'xplainin' to do."

I can't believe she fucking quit.

No comments: