Saturday, October 19, 2002

Warning, this column contains yet more baseball talk. You have been warned.

Yep, tonight's Game 1 of the series and I'm happier than Steven getting bumped and grinded on the dance floor by Trashelle. I'm a huge Giants fan, the kind of fan who'll watch any Giants game when it's on if one's on. I don't care who they're playing, but at some point during the night, if there's nothing on, I'll flip it to the game. Even if there's something on that I want to watch, I'll usually flip to the game during the commercials. The next day, after the game, I voraciously read through the stories about the game and then cruise through the major sports sites to see if there's anything about them on those sites. So, as you can pretty well imagine, I know this team. I know the players in ways that most die-hard baseball fans know the players, as if they're everyday people in your life. And no, I don't meant that in a creepy sort of way, but just in that way that comes when you follow a team day-in and day-out and they become part of the background of your daily life.

What's cool about having them in the series is it's like when you're favorite cult band suddenly becomes huge and national. It's like seeing a band that you saw in some small club somewhere suddenly being screamed at on TRL Live!. All these years, I watched the Giants day, but watched other teams go through the playoffs. All the hype, all the blather, all the focus, all the attention, were on teams that I don't follow. Now, all of that is happening to my team, the Giants and it feels just great. Now I get to watch Dusty give press conferences before and after the game. I get to watch my team spray champagne all over themselves. I get the bunting and first pitch and all the pomp and circumnstances that goes on with a World Series game.

But what it makes it that much more gratifying is that the things that I know, and most Giants fans know, are all about to be displayed in front of the entire nation. That now everyone will see that this team for years has been a gritty, hard-nosed, never say die club. That Dusty may be the coolest guy on the face of the planet. That J.T. Snow turns plays first base with the grace of the best Wide Receivers or basketball stars.. That Rich Aurillia (and David Bell) are ball-players through and through (which is one of the highest forms of compliment you can give a baseball player because there is a difference between an athelete playing baseball and a ball player). And that Pac Bell Park might be the greatest place in the world (check out the Sports Guy's take on Pac Bell- that " It's a magical place. You just feel like something important should be happening there"). Not to mention what everyone who watches Giants games know- that Barry Bonds is the best show in sports right now and that to watch him play on a regular basis makes you realize just how truly special a player he is, critics be damned.

And all that will finally be shown to the world. Bring it on.

No comments: