Tuesday, October 29, 2002

See, I knew it- there is a conspiracy going on to make sure that the football viewing public is stuck watching the crappiest possible games. I knew it.

Okay, so I have The Interview today. A fairly big one. Now, the question, of course, is how to get out of current job to go on this interview.

Easy you say: doctor's appointment.

Unfortunately, I've already used that line since I've been there. For, well, an actual doctor's appointment (d'oh!). Gotta hate when that happens. I could make up another excuse to leave work early, but I also got out of work early last week because of the World Series game (ooops, sorry I brought that up). Yeah, my boss was the main instigator there, for reasons that are far too complex to bring up, but it's still leaving work early. So, if I had to leave work early today, I'd have to come up with a fairly clever excuse and hope that it doesn't look to bad that I've somehow gotten off early three times in my first three weeks of a job. That doesn't quite look that good.

What to do…what to do…..

All I can say is damn that hole in wall Mexican food place I ate at last night for giving me food poisoning. Wound up spending all night puking. I knew I shouldn't have ordered the fish taco.

Luckily, when I called to give this big huge, Academy Award performance detailing why I couldn't come in (I can sound pretty pathetic when I want to- trust me. Oh wait, you knew that already), I got voice-mail. Score! Love when that happens- get in, get out, nobody knows anything better and you don't have to elaborate or go into details. I always get paranoid when I call in sick, even when I am sick, because I'm always scared that they'll either guilt me into coming into work or give me such the fifth degree that they'll realize I'm lying. You know, like they'll ask me so many questions that I'll incriminate myself or they'll provide material witnesses who'll claim that I was last seen at a bar at a certain hour and they know I'm lying.

PS- in most cases, people would be pretty stoked to have the day off when they're not really sick. Get to stay home, surf the Web, watch TV, read, maybe work out or go for a walk. Not me. Been there, done that. I actually don't mind going into work these days, despite whatever qualms I have about the job. I've spent enough time having nothing to do all day but surf the Web, watch TV, and go for walks. It's so early to mid 2002.

No comments: