Saturday, November 09, 2002

I have a writing class every Saturday morning. And yes, it's a pretty crappy time for a class considering I have a serious aversion to having to get up early on weekends. Today, after class, I was walking down the street and realized that if I kept up at my current pace, I was gonna quickly catch up to one of the other people in my class. This means, I have a situation on my hands.

Option #1 is to simply blow by him without saying anything. I don't want to do that, however, because that would be rude. Besides, one of the reasons why I like writing classes is you get to meet interesting people and he's definitely one of the more interesting people in the class. Not only did he quit his job as some corporate type to follow a creative path, a path that eventually led him to earning money at corporate events as a mime (yes, a mime), but he's got some scary, gothic mother that he always writes about. They're pretty entertaining when you're not the one whose related to her. So, I don't want to be rude because he in no way deserves my rudeness.

So, I could then do Option #2- Come up to him and talk to him. This may seem like the obvious thing to do ("the stop and chat" as Larry David calls it Curb Your Enthusiasm and yes, I think the show is bloody brilliant), but in all honesty, I don't want to. He's an interesting guy and there's nothing wrong with him, but I just don't want to talk to him. What can I say, I'm anti-social. There's nothing I can get out of talking to him other than talking to him for the hell of it and I'm just not into that. Did I mention that it was a Saturday morning and that I'm not very good on Saturday Mornings?

So what did I do? I crossed the street. Simple, effective, and painless.

Speaking of writing class, I have to hand in assignment every week and today was the day we got our first assignment back. I wrote about the whole starting a new job thing and while a but of a rush job, it was, I thought, my usual genius. Whenever I hand in a writing assignment, I'm like the kid in The Christmas Story just as he hands in his paper about how much he wants his official Red Ryder carbine-action, 200-shot, range-model air rifle, you know where he pictures his burnt out, bitter teacher rediscovering her love of life just by reading the sheer brilliance of his piece. That's me.And just like Ralphie, it didn't happen. All I got was a Good! Yeah, I got a good, but I didn't called out in class for my brilliance and it's not like she wrote anything like "this sucks" on anyone's paper. I didn't, however, get any reminders about anything shooting my eye out.


No comments: