Sunday, November 03, 2002

Just got back from shopping at Safeway. And yes, there's all sorts of exciting things you can discover at Safeway.

Like this-

Right now the big Niners/Raiders game is being played. This is a big game here in the Bay Area. BIG. The kind of game where the streets are a whole lot quieter and the bars a whole lot louder.

This is when I decided to go shopping because, well, it seemed to be the thing to do at the time. Besides, I don't care about the '9er's or the Raiders and my passion for football is pretty much confined by my poor, underperforming and oft injured Fantasy Football Team (God-damn, Randy Moss).

Safeway was pretty quiet, probably due to the game and it being a beautiful day today. As I suspected, there wasn't a whole lot of guys there. Those who were there were obviously not into sports, like the tattooed hipster or the two guys making out in the bread aisle. There were, however, a few guys who I could definitely tell were Sports Guys- the doughy body, the receding hairline, the backward baseball. Sportus Fanus Americanus. Instead of watching the game, though, they were there shopping with their Girlfriends. As a Single Guy, this brought a smile to my face. Cause I know that deep-down, at the bottom of their hearts, all those guys were miserable. I'm pretty sure that the whole time they were there, all they were doing was thinking about how much they'd rather be either at a bar drinking beer and high-fiving their buddies or at someone's house drinking beer and high-fiving their buddies. But no, they had to go shopping. Probably because Girlfriend made them. And probably because they couldn't get out of it.

Ha ha.

And then there's this one-

Safeway has this policy where they encourage their employees to be friendly to their customers. This means that they'd occasionally stop what they were doing, say hello, and ask how you are doing. Look, it's nice and all and I'm sure they're all really, really nice people, but all I'm doing at Safeway is shopping for food. I am not there to chit-chat or have small-talk about the weather. I do not want to chit-chat and have small-talk about the weather with Safeway employees. I just don’t' care.

Is it too much to ask to be left alone?

No comments: