Saturday, November 16, 2002

Went to see Harry Potter yesterday at the Metreon. Good movie, not great- typical blockbuster in that you enjoy it while you watch it then leave thinking "eh, whatever" afterwards.

On my way through the main entrance, a gaggle of girls passed by me. They were all wearing black capes with the logo of one of the four Hogwarts school on their breast. I'd say they were between 12-15, teenagers but still on the younger side of adolescence, before all the brattiness and snottiness appear. As they were passing me, I hear a voice call out from above on my right. "Oh my Gawd," another girls voice called, "great outfit." It was a girl, with her friends, all dressed up like Hermione with the black coats and the red/yellow Gryffyndor scarf. One of the girls in the black capes looked to the Hermione girls and yelled back, "oh my Gawd, I love your outfit too."

First of all, I didn't quite expect Harry Potter to be that much of a girl thing, though Hermione does rock. I just see it much more of a boy thing, although not quite as big of a boy thing as the Lord of the Rings.

It was just so cute, though. It was the exact same conversation every teenage girl has throughout the universe, except all for a movie. But what made it so cute, was because we all know that sometime soon, probably at any moment, none of them would ever have a conversation like that for a movie. Sometime soon, none of them would ever be caught dead doing something as innocent as dressing up to go see a movie.

No comments: