Thursday, November 28, 2002

It's Thanksgiving. And what did I do (more, more should I ask, why should you care, but that's a topic for another discussion)? Watched a little Goldfinger, a little Buffy Marathon (damn, Hush is so good), a lot of the Tim McGraw special (joking) and some rental movies. And for the big Thanksgiving meal? I wouldn't say it was frozen turkey/gravy & mashed potatoes, but it was kind of close.

Yeah, I know, kind of sad & pathetic.

I do have to work tomorrow, which'll put a damper on things. And I wasn't really up for the whole dealing with finding something to do, something that I really didn't want nor have the time or wherewithal to do.

I know, I should do something. It's a National Holiday. It's all about getting together with loved one's and stuffing yourself silly while watching football. But I don't really care. And no, it's not what you think.

Sometime today, after watching Office Space (the movie gets better the more I see it), I went to take a walk. It was right after sunset, when the night had just begun. Most people were off at whatever Thanksgiving thing they had going on. Valencia was completely quiet and still. It was like one of those scenes in the movie where some force or being stops everything and time stands still.

As I walked around, I realized that's exactly what I needed right now. These past couple of months have been nothing but a long, scary roller-coaster ride. The kind they put signs up saying "People with the following conditions should not be allowed to ride" roller coasters. It's been plain ole nutty cuckoo.

All this time, all through the craziness of the past few months- the past few years- all I've wanted was a day or two where I felt like things could slow down and stop for a bit. For a time when there was nothing to do, nothing to worry about, nothing to stress about. That's all I've pretty much wanted 'lo these many months. And I got it. No unemployment stress, no job stress, no money stress, no stress about nothing. Yeah, I'd prefer being up in the Berkshires with my family smoking Cubans and drinking Brandy, but right now, right here, I got what I wanted.

Besides, unlike most of my Thanksgivings, I actually feel like I have things to be Thankful for. I may not be "celebrating" the way you're supposed to (I didn't watch any football, for instance), but as I sat on my butt doing nothing, I couldn't help but feel just how much I have to be thankful for. And that's what the holiday is really about, isn't it?

Isn't that much better than surfing the Web for naked pictures of Skanky Pop Princess like a lot of people out there did today?

No comments: