Thursday, November 14, 2002

Just accepted another job. Kind of got screwed on the whole money thing, but there's not a whole lot I could do about it (and therein lies a tale for another day). I tried to negotiate, but the company doesn't negotiate salaries.

The funny thing is that, you know, when you accept a job offer, you have to assume that salary is negotiable. So you go through the whole song and dance, the "well, it's a nice job, but….." thing in hopes that they sweeten the pot. Which is what I did and was so good at, I got the "well, you have to figure out what you want to do and I can't make the decision for you" speech from the HR woman. A speech partially fueled by the fact she's quitting in a couple of weeks and doesn't have to play hard-ass HR person anymore. But, of course, it was all for naught so the whole performance thing wasn't even necessary. I knew I was gonna take the job, I don't have a choice in the matter, but I still gotta go through the routine.

The whole thing was actually kind of funny in a way. It reminded me of the scene in Life of Brian where Brian's being chased by the Roman's and goes to buy a fake beard. You know, where he goes to buy the beard, but the guy won't let him buy it until he haggles for it and so Brian has to haggle for it despite the fact he doesn't want to and he can't waste the time. Except I'm the haggler and the HR person is Brian.

Just remember, blessed are the Cheesemakers.

No comments: