Thursday, April 04, 2002

And now onto the ugly, "we're only inches away from starting the apocolypse" mess in the Middle East. The scary part about it for me is that I'm finding myself agreeing more and more with the right-wing. Which I don't like. Don't like at all. Yesterday, in fact, I not only found myself agreeing with a George Will column (!) but thought it was actually kind of funny. God, what is happening to me? Is this what it's like to be a conservative, to chuckle amusedly at the latest bon mot by the Bow-tied One, shaking my head in amusement at just what a pithy wit he is? Ugh

Anyways, here's the part that I found kind of funny. And also the part that strangely sums up my feelings about everything right now:

"Sharon reportedly wants to exile Arafat, the chief fomentor of such fanaticism. If so, why the tentativeness? Sharon should ship Arafat to Europe, where there is much official sympathy for him. Arafat would like today's France, where he could place his phone calls by the light of burning synagogues."

Since I'm not such an erudite wit as Will is, I'd like to add my comments

Dear France- Fuck you, you Nazi-cowering, hypocritical, snooty, yellow-bellied, anti-semitic twerps. We all know the moment some plane blows up the Eiffel Tower you're gonna go crying to us because you're too fucking lame to do anything about it yourself. Just like you always do. Just face the facts- you love McDonald's, you love our movies, your countries done nothing of note since Napoleon went down and well, you just plain suck. Love Paris, though.

As a final note, as I wonder why the rest of the world seems to be so concerned about Yasser Arafat's toilet priviliges and whether or not he has enough batteries to make calls on his cell phone, yet doesn't seem to have a problem with a leader- a political system, an entire region - that things the idea of young people blowing themselves up along with twenty or so innocent Israeli's is kind of neat, I for some reason think back to a great Tom Lehrer song, National Brotherhood Week

"Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews."

No comments: