Sunday, April 14, 2002

There's all these flyers out around the city for this month's big protest rally. "Fight the Axis of Evil," the posters say, "War, Racism and Poverty." To which, of course, I say, you go. Who isn't for fighting war, racism and poverty, except for a couple die-hard conservative Republicans?

But then I see a poster for the same rally and it says "Help Stop Bush's War." Then there's another poster, again for the same event, and it says "Help Protest the US/Israeli War." Then I read a story about the protest and they're going on how it's about the usual stuff, you know anti-IMF, anti World Bank and general badness. I'm sure somewhere along the way, there'll be a few protestors there for Mumia because, after all, it's all about Mumia.

Not that I'm an expert in political protests, but doesn't it make sense that if you're gonna protest something, you should at least make a concerted effort to have some sort of consistant message. I mean, I'm confused as to what the protest is about and I'm guessing other people will be too. And most importantly, what's gonna happen when they do the patented "what are we fighting for" cheer? There's just gonna be this long cacophony of noises as everyone says something else because nobody's exactly sure just what they are protesting. It'll be a veritable Tower of Rabble Rousing Babble.

Either way, as the rally'll be right around the corner from me, I guess that means I have to get out of the apartment at a reasonable hour so I don't have to sit and listen to the constant echo of speeches, chants, and more speeches. Maybe, instead, I'll just stay inside and crank Van Halen in response. Or Snoop Dog. Yeah, laid back.....

And I've always wondered about the protestors, the one's who are always out there protesting something. How many of them actually vote? I don't protest anything, I don't hold up signs and puppets and recite stupid chants. Even worse, I think Mumia's guilty. On the other hand I vote pretty consisitently. And I didn't throw my vote away either and vote for some guy who'll never be elected but did just enough mischief to throw the election to the guy whose causing all the protests anyways. Grrrrr....aaaargh.

Actually, maybe that's why they voted for Nader. Because with W. as President, they have more to do now....

No comments: