Saturday, November 08, 2003

After having "War and Peace" for a week, I'm up to page 25. It's not that I don't want to read it or that it's that difficult to read, it's just that it's a little intimidating. It is hard to sit there and think about casually reading something when it's about 1200 pages and considered to be the Greatest Novel Ever Written. It's not like it's the kind of book you pick up casually and take into the bathroom with you, or read on the bus, or read while also sort-of watching football. Hell, the book is so big it doesn't really fit on my night stand.

I keep on saying to myself that I should start reading it, but then I take a look at the thing, get a little scared off, and think that maybe I'll start in after doing maybe a bit more reading about the Paris Hilton tape or the about-to-explode Prince Charles playing for both teams story. Not to mention that there's way too many cable channel's to pick from. Next thing I know another day has passed and I haven't read it yet.

PS- as for those Charles stories- be afraid, be very afraid. My guess is to not watch any Cable News Channel for the next three months because this thing is gonna be big and it's gonna be ugly. It's already become a National Enqurer meets Kafka kind of story. This thing is gonna be so big that if Donald Rumsfield himself had a complete breakdown during one of his press conferences and tearfully admitted that he did screw everything up and that the world is going to hell in a hand-basket because of him, nobody would notice. And forget anyone caring that the White House just announced that they're simply way too busy to respond to any questions that might come from a Democrat.

No comments: