Saturday, November 15, 2003

It's Saturday morning, I'm drinking some yummy Orange Pekoe Tea, I'm listening to Sigur Ros, and I'm trying- I'm trying Ringo- to be all mellow and not to be all pissy and cranky like I usually am, but then I did it. I screwed the pooch. I read the paper.

There, on the front page of the Chron is a story about the new "energy" bill. We already know that the bill is gonna be lame, especially considering it was basically written by Cheney and all of his oil industry homies, but I can't even make it out of the first paragraph without throwing my paper across the room and thinking that maybe Sigur Ros is a little too angsty for this morning.

Yo, check this out-

"Republicans announced completion Friday of closed-door negotiations on the first national energy bill in more than a decade -- a top priority for President Bush -- but still have not made public or even shown to Democrats the contents of the roughly 1,700-page bill, setting up a showdown over passage in the Senate next week. "

Yes, let's pass a major piece of legislation but not allow anyone to see it. Better yet, let's force a vote down the Democrats throats without letting them see it. Why not? It's fun. Maybe we'll just throw in there things like free tax breaks for anyone who buys a Hummer. Or better, yet, free Hummer's for anyone who votes for Bush in '04. Or maybe even a law that forces the networks to air nothging but 24-hours straight of "The Newlyweds." Who'd know? It's not like anyone is allowed to read the thing.

And another thing. Let's have a big huge vote about giving $87 billion to Iraq, but instead of having every Senator get up and state their position, thus ensuring accountability, let's just do it by voice vote so nobody has to actually state a position.

The only thing I can say is this- what the fuck?

No comments: