Monday, November 01, 2004

And so tomorrow is the day. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm pretty fricking freaked out. Those polls are way to tight all things considering. I mean, is it possible for a President to fuck up as much as this one has? What the fuck, people?

When I was younger and a lot more into football, I was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. When I was in college, they had those almost great Bernie Kosar teams, the one's that always made it close only to lose in completely horrible, awful fashion. For two years in a row, they made it to the AFC Championship and I can remember the whole week before the game, having that feeling that was a combination of excitement and dread. I knew that in one week, I could either be in the promised land or heartbreak city. I even remember being so excited that I went to bed early the night before the game, set my alarm to wake up in enough time to watch the pre-game show and went banging on the door of the RA to get them to open up the lounge. That's how I feel about tomorrow, except instead of a week to anticipate the game, it's been four years. Again, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I've been wishing for tomorrow ever since a bunch of old Jews thought they were voting for Buchanan.

For the past two weeks, whenever I've come to write a posting, I've thought that it's time to rant on. I've written it several times in my head, but when I started it just went all over the place. I was going to compare the polls to one of those bell curves in which the smart people keep the grades from being too low but all the idiots knock down the high scores. Or how if Bush wins, we, the blue state people, should just pretty much tell the red state folks that they're on their own now, that we'll stop carrying them. I was even thinking about writing how there might be some good things to come out of a Bush victory (like how pop culture is getting interesting again and for proof, check out the Eminem video- it's amazing. Or how Bush is going to have to deal with the mess he created in Iraq and for the first time ever, not have someone who can bail him out).

But I won't. For now. Hopefully I won't have to write any of it. Truth is, nobody knows what the hell is going to happen tomorrow and while I have my guesses (I'm thinking it's not going to be close just because everyone thinks it's going to be close and whenever everyone says something is going to happen, it never happens) I don't know. I'm just hoping the vaunted Democratic ground war is as good as they're saying it is. After all, all those pictures of people lined up in Florida to vote early sure don't look Republican.

Still, all I can say about tomorrow is this- gulp.

We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
It's a start, a work of art
To revolutionize make a change nothin's strange
People, people we are the same
No we're not the same
Cause we don't know the game
What we need is awareness, we can't get careless
You say what is this?
My beloved lets get down to business
Mental self defensive fitness
(Yo) bum rush the show
You gotta go for what you know
Make everybody see, in order to fight the powers that be
Lemme hear you say...
Fight the Power

No comments: