Friday, November 26, 2004

Let´s get to the quick stuff as that´s all I have time for:

-Just took a ride with possibly the worst cab driver in both Hemispheres. He didn´t know his way around, couldn´t read maps, drove about ten miles-per-hour less than every car on the road, and was quite possibly half-deaf. You know it´s bad when I, who have been in this city for all of three days, is giving him directions. In really bad Spanish.
-Thanks to the five-star luxury hotel´s cable selection featuring subtitled Skinemax, I now know most Spanish terms for Lesbian sex acts.
-Allow me to give myself some dap on this, but I drive maybe once a year, at the most. And that driving usually consists of highways. So far, I´ve driven around two South American cities, finding the way each time, dodging busses, and even navigating several dreaded round-abouts. Yeah me.
-Both ESPN and Fox Sports are the international sports versions, meaning it´s all soccer (futbol) all the time, especially as it´s the European Championship season. All the American sports, mainly basketball and football are afterthoughts on the shows, the thing they tag on in the last ten or fifteen minutes of SportsCenter when they´ve run out of soccer highlights. It´s kind of refreshing, actually, in that it shows just how much all those stories about ¨the globalization¨of American sports are a crock. Nobody cares. Or, they do up until the moment Arsenal takes on AC Milan and buh-bye Warriors/Sonics game highlights.
-My Thanksgiving started off with me waking up in my hotel room overlooking the ocean followed by breakfast at the hotel restaurant, also overlooking the ocean. That was followed by a jaunt to Valporiso- an incredibly beautiful and funky town largely consisting of narrow streets up until the hills- and lunch on a restaurant on the edge of a cliff also overlooking the ocean. That was followed by a drive back to Santiago and then a birthday party at a country club in the hills. After that came a late night dinner at a five-star New Zealand restaurant and wine then drinks at some yuppie bar around the corner from the restaurant. Stumbled home at three in the morning to wake up to a major hangover. Not bad if you ask me

No comments: