Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I'm sitting at my cubicle today when my new manager came to my desk to talk to me. Even though she's a bit older and in a position of responsibility, there's still a bit of a rocker in her. What I mean is that she'll occasionally wear something that's, umm, slightly revealing.

Today when she came up to me, I turned around to face her and quickly noticed that- how shall I put it?- she looked very excited to see me. As friends used to put it, she could have cut glass with those things. This, of course, was problematic. She is my boss and she is in a position of responsibility. I have to do whatever I can do to not only impress her, but to give her the respect she should get (cough *brownose* cough). The one thing I could not do is to stare at the wrong place, which can be pretty damn difficult when her headlights were pretty much out and saying "howya doin'?" So I'm sitting there thinking to myself "don't stare…don't stare…don't stare" which kind of makes trying to impress the boss difficult in that it's hard to put coherent sentences together when you're doing everything possible to stare directly at her face. Plus, there's that whole bit where if you tell yourself not to think of something, you automatically can't but help think of something. My dad once told me that if somebody came up to you and said "don't think of a camel" you will, of course, do nothing but think of a camel the very act of trying not to think of one automatically makes you think of one. In other words, if you're telling yourself "don't think about the nipples, don't think about the nipples" you're gonna be thinking about the nipples.

Which brings us to the Wank of the Week. Blah, blah, blah, program director left the Castro…blah…blah…blah everyone's worried…blah blah blah…everyone loves the Castro. And everyone does. And yes the fact that the program director left after getting into it with the owners is kind of troubling. Or, more like, could be. Worthy of the "Les Miserables" treatment? Umm, no. And so we go to the tape:

THE CASTRO. Those two words reflect a neighborhood central to gay history – and an embattled present moment, when right-wing "family values" are once again claiming power. For San Franciscans, those two words also spark passion for the Castro Theatre, a prized movie palace seen by many as a quintessential example of what makes the city unique. While other cultural aspects of the neighborhood have been on the wane, and chain stores on the rise, the Castro has fostered an international reputation by remaining steadfast in its dedication to film as an art


Yeah, not that exciting, relatively, but you try writing after three glasses of sangria?

No comments: