Wednesday, February 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I got conjunctivitis when I was a baby and I remember getting it several times as a kid, even getting to stay home from it one day, but I've never gotten it as an adult. Hell, I didn't even know you could get it as an adult, which is why when the doctor told me what I had, I kept on asking him how I could have possibly gotten it (stupid, barely noticeable cold that I've done a good job at fighting off). But I have it.

When I was a kid, I didn't remember it as being that awful. But maybe it's only because it was around twenty years since I've had. Now, as a full-fledged adult, I have to say it kind of sucks. No, it's not serious and it's not painful (although it occasionally can be), but it's more of a pain in the ass. It's like one of those barely audible high-pitched screeches or like Real World Robin's breasts where it's just kind of there, but it's just noticeable enough to make you fixate on it to the point where it just completely bugs the shit out of you. All I can think about is that little pain in my eye and how much I just want to rub and rub my eye until it goes away. To add to the fun, it's making me highly sensitive to light so I'm now one of those people who I hate- I'm the guy who wears sunglasses inside.

All of this, in a way, is reminding me of two friends in college. They both got really, really bad bouts of poison ivy. They had it everywhere and when I say everywhere, I mean everywhere (editor's note- when camping, please make sure you know exactly what kind of bush you are about to pee into). All of the itching was driving them so up the wall that they basically did nothing but smoke dope for about three straight days, something they could do pretty easily considering they were also dealers (legal note- we here at Hooray for Anything would like to take this time to publicly deny any sort of association with them vis a vi the buying of illicit substances. We never did any of that sort of activity in college and only knew them through Bible study classes). Anytime one of them got even the barest hint of an itch, which happened a lot considering how bad they got it, they'd just take another bong hit, hoping the dope would kill any sort of itchiness. For days they just sat in their apartment, watching movies and eating food brought to them by their girlfriends, smoking bong hits every ten to fifteen minutes (or so I heard as I was to busy studying to hang with them during that particular time). That's kind of how I feel right now. I'm nowhere near as bad as they were (trust me), but right now I'd do anything to not be spending all my time trying to not be driven crazy by the little itchy feeling in my eye.

No comments: