Thursday, February 12, 2004

It's been almost three weeks since I was supposed to hear about those two jobs and still so far, nothing. I talked to both of them on Wednesday and was told by one that they still hadn't had a meeting to decide who gets the job and told by the other that they've been too busy to call my references. And this was after they spent what felt like half the interview telling me how important it was to place someone in that position and how they need to bring someone in immediately. Guess not.

Both of them have apologized and the one that's supposedly about to check my references even sounded somewhat sincere, but Jesus Frickin' Christ people. In the best of all situations, the job interviewing process is supposed to be like a date. You make a decision about whether you want to work there and they make a decision as to if they want you to work there. In this case, wouldn't it be in the company's best interest not to drag the hiring out of a position past three weeks? I wouldn't exactly say I'm really impressed by either of them about how they're handling this. Among other things, the past couple of weeks have kind of sucked. Like being a constant state of suspended animation, waiting for some sort of shoe to drop so I can get on with it. In the best of all possible worlds, I'll get another job right before I finally hear the word back from them so I could tell them to go screw off (picture big speech about how to treat people and how to not treat people, complete with Oprah-style head shake and finger pointing).

But that's not gonna happen, now is it. Especially when our beloved Government is on record as saying how great it is that all of our jobs are going to India (does this mean that if there were no jobs whatsoever in this country, our economy would hit the macroeconomic version of Nirvana? The state of mind, not the band)

Problem is I need a job. Badly. And while it still sounds like I'm going to be hired by at least one of them ("checking references" usually means you got it), the bloom is way off the proverbial rose.

I am, however, thinking that with tomorrow being Friday the 13th and all, it would be just my luck that I'll get the big call tomorrow. That is if I didn't just jinx it by saying that. So, forget I said anything…..

Oops.

No comments: