Sunday, August 18, 2002

Here's a shout-out today to Ross: Dress for Less as I just discovered it, or more like finally went there for my first time to buy clothes. An unemployed person's bestest clothes store.

I went there with the desire to buy myself new interview clothes. Kind of an out with the old, in with the new/whatever I've been doing hasn't worked so far kind of thing. Plus, when I first started this whole job-huting thing, whenever I looked in the mirror and checked-out me in my interview clothes, I always thought how sharp I looked. A year later, a bunch more heavier, and with all sorts of wear and tear caused by travels on bus, train, and long walks in 90 degree weather, whenever I look at myself in a mirror before an interview these days, I think to myself that how frumpy I look. Sharp good. Frumpy bad.

One thing about buying interview clothes, though- it's nothing something that should be done when extremely hung-over and tired (damn Grotsch beer). No matter how good the clothes looked, everytime I looked in the mirror, the only thing I could think of was how much I really needed a nap.

Oh, and I saw a whole thing in the pierced/tattooed tribal look, which is saying something here in SF. He was wearing a basketball jersey which exposed his spiraly, dark green tattooes that went up and down both arms. Which is kind of normal on the tattoo thing, but he managed to somehow pierce both the front and back part of the lobe so that each drooped down like a string and were then pierced together by these huge earings, one for each ear. He also had one of those spike things in between the bridge of his nose, right between the eyes, but as I stared at his profile, I couldn't help notice that there was this greenish kind of glow coming out of his nose. It looked like there was some sort of a green, plastic object in the middle part of his nose (the septum?) made out of the same kind of material that they make platic bottles. I don't know whether or not it was put in because it's some new sort of piercing that I hadn't seen before, he had blow his septum out by doing way too much coke, or had some sort of piercing accident that made them have to construct his septum using plastic, but either way, I can't think it's a good thing when you people can catch the reflection of the sun through somebody's nose.

The nicest part of the whole look was that he was definately in his early 20's (of course) and was shopping with his wifey (girlfriend?) and four year old kid. Nice.

No comments: