Thursday, August 29, 2002

She called out of the blue and whispered sweetly in my ear. "Trust me," she cooed, "trust me, I'll take care of you."

Defenseless, I did. I fell for her siren call. I was hers.

Was it the silky voice? The edge of confidence and trust when she spoke? Or was it because she knew what I wanted? What I desired. She was ready to give it to me. Everything. And I fell for her completely. I was hers.

I was skeptical at first. I had been there before, heard the same sweet voice promising me the same sweet rewards. I was offered the world. And all I had to do was one thing. But when I had did what she asked me to do, I was thrown away. I couldn't give her what she needed. I had failed. And in my hour of need, she left me. Abandoned and thrown away, with nothing left but the echoes of her promises.

Once again, I was hearing the voice. Once again, I was hearing the same promises, offered the world without a string. All I had to do was one thing, just one thing, and then it would be mine.

And I did it. The moment came, the situation arose, and I did what I could. I couldn't give her what she wanted, couldn't give her what she needed. I had tried to do what she wanted, but failed.

Once again, I was thrown away. Discarded. She left me too, all alone, again. Her promises swept away, like the wet tendrils of the fog blown into the Bay by the light of the sun.

Where, o where, did my recruiter go and why won't she return my calls?

No comments: