Wednesday, August 21, 2002

More Adventures in Interviewing!

Turns out someone who not only works at the place I interviewed at is someone who I once worked with at the Publishing Company that I gave my '20's too, but she would also be in the department I would work in. And who would have a say in the decision of who is going to be hired. Score, right? After all, she loved me. No, not in that way, but in the always plopping herself down in my cubicle when she was bored to relate party war-stories and Amsterdam adventures kind of way. So I got that going for me, right?

On the other hand, is it really such a good thing that the person who I need to vouch for me also knows what my favorite Coffee Shop in Amsterdam is and why I love their shakes?

Plus, there's always that paranoid feeling I get when I'm involved in something like this, that despite the fact I think I was well-thought of and well-liked there, I could be wrong. Who knows what the scuttlebutt about me was, especially in a place famous for being full of cranky eccentrics who spent half their time at work gossiping and bitching.

Just wondering, too, what kind of bribe I would need for her help? Free drinks? Free lunch? A Playstation? The kind of stuff that makes Amsterdam famous? And would mentioning to her in an e-mail that great she looks now (she lost a bit of weight- not that she looked that bad to begin with, but let's just say she looks much better) be a little over the line?

And the interview? First of all, it was to great relief that the person I interviewed with was not the blonde in the skirt and high-heels that I saw walking around. Instead, she was just normal looking. I gave her everything I got- new clothes, new hair-cut, new shoes. Even gave them my Aussie accent (don't ask- just goofing on former lame-ass bosses). We laughed, we cried, we shared a moment.

They're so gonna screw me……

No comments: