Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Let's see, what to say about XXX…..

I think I know why it's getting mainly really good reviews. I think it's because most reviewers are either oldish or completely unhip (my brother told the Wall Street Journal loved it) and they think that this movie is so hip that they have to like it because if they didn't, they'd show how unhip they are. "Look, the guy's gut a shaved head and tatooes and snowboards, and the soundtrack is all metal tunes and techno, the kid's are gonna love it!"

Well, I may be oldish and not as hip as I used to be (that is if I was ever really that hip at all), but I’m secure enough in my oldishness and unhipness to think that it's still a pretty dumb movie. Even fairly bad at certain points. Oh, it's enjoyable and kind of fun to watch, but only for the same reasons that Point Break and are. And XXX is nowhere near up to their level. Not even close.

As for the kids? Well, at one point, a bunch of people cheered "yeah!" when XXX said something defiantly and with attitude. On the other hand, after an unbelievably over the top action sequence (way over the top), there was a couple of seconds of silence, and then a whole bunch of people started laughing. Not laughing with it, but laughing at it. As the coup de grace, some guy yelled "Way to go Vinnie!"

And yeah, I kind of like Vin. When he's not trying to hard to be cool, he is kind of cool. As for whether or not he's got himelf a Gen-Y James Bond, I thought the character was just maybe a tad bit too much more Poochie the Dog than 007.

No comments: